Upcoming Kindergarten Enrollment Events for 2021-22 School Year
Kindergarten Enrollment for the 2021-22 School Year
How old must my child be to enroll in kindergarten?
To be eligible to attend kindergarten in the 2021-22 school year, a child must be five years of age as of midnight August 31, 2021 (WAC 392-335-010).
What do I need to bring when I enroll my kindergarten student?
To enroll your child, please complete the 2021-22 Enrollment Packet and include a copy of your child’s birth certificate. To verify you are a resident of our district, we will accept one of one of the following: utility bill, garbage/recycling bill, or lease/rental agreement; the lease/bill must include your name and address and be dated within the last 30 days.
- Do you live in our district boundaries? Check here: https://www.steilacoom.k12.wa.us/Page/6563
- At this time, we are not accepting Non-Resident Applications for Kindergarten; please visit our Non-Resident Attendance webpage for updated information.
Does the district provide transportation?
Bus transportation is provided for all resident students who live farther than one-mile away from school; students living within a one-mile radius are not eligible for bus transportation. Parents of kindergarten students are required to be at the bus stop for pick-up and drop-off.
What information OSPI have regarding Kindergarten in our state?
- OSPI WaKIDS home page
- WaKIDS Family Connection brochure
- WaKIDS "Characteristics of Children Entering Kindergarten"
Does the district provide Early Entrance Kindergarten?
Early entrance to kindergarten may be provided for in-district students whose birthday occurs on/after September 1st according to the following guidelines:
- To qualify for Early Entrance Kindergarten, the child must be 5 years old on/before November 30th.
- Applications will be available at the District Office and online (see below) beginning August 1st; completed applications will be held until we are able to determine if space is available.
- Applications will be filed and reviewed in the order in which they are received.
- Early Entrance Kindergarten is available only when classroom space allows.
- Classroom space determination is made by the end of the 2nd full week of school in September.
- If the District decides to offer Early Entrance Kindergarten, there will be a screening process; a $75 non-refundable fee will be collected at the time of screening. Applicants will be notified after the 2nd full week of school with the contact information listed on their applications. The screening process may include OSPI WaKIDS criteria.