This year, all schools in Steilacoom Historical School District are making a special effort to ensure that all students fully benefit from their education by attending school regularly. Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school - and themselves.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Starting in kindergarten, too many absences (excused and unexcused) can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing 10 percent (or about 18 days) increases the chance that your student will not read or master math at the same level as their peers.
- Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two days every few weeks.
- Being late to school may lead to poor attendance.
- Absences can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
- By 6th grade, absenteeism is one of three signs that a student may drop out of high school.
- By being present at school, your child learns valuable social skills and has to opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with other students and school staff.
- By 9th grade, regular and high attendance is a better predictor of graduation rates than 8th grade test scores.