Assessments play a key role in teaching and learning.
SHSD students participate in Washington State assessments every year. State assessments include:
- Smarter Balanced English Language Arts and Math, grades 3-8 and 10
- Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science (new spring 2018), grades 5, 8, and 11
- Washington English Language Proficiency (WELPA)
- Washington Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (WaKIDS)
- OSPI-Developed Assessments in The Arts, Social Studies, Health and Physical Education
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Washington Access to Instruction and Measurement in English Language Arts, Math, and Science* (WA-AIM) fall retake, grade 12; spring 2018 grades 3-8, 10 and 11 *spring only
The 2019 newly redesigned Washington State Report Card site provides in-depth, interactive assessment data for parents, students, educators and community members. You can check it out here: http://washingtonstatereportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/
In addition, schools and classrooms administer tests throughout the school year to measure students' growth and proficiency in Washington State K-12 Learning Standards.
i-Ready Adaptive Diagnostic Reading and Math Assessments are administered grades K-8in fall, winter and spring this school year will provide teachers, students and parents with detailed data on each student's academic needs and ongoing monitoring to help students stay on tract to meeting end-of-the year learning targets.